- Last Updated on Tuesday, 22 April 2014 15:49
April 16, 2014
University signs Memorandum of Understanding with the British Federation of Women Graduates.
A Memorandum of Understanding has been signed between the University of Chester and the British Federation of Women Graduates (BFWG).
On Wednesday, April 16, 2014, the University’s Vice-Chancellor, Professor Tim Wheeler, met with Jenny Morley, President of the BWFG, at a celebratory event to mark this historic occasion.
This is the first time that the BFWG, which is part of the much wider International Federation of University Women, has linked formally with a university.
As part of this special relationship, the University and BFWG will explore the potential of working together in the following areas:
• Developments in learning and teaching enhancement;
• Development and sharing of publications and other materials of common interest;
• Research collaboration.
The BFWG gives grants in excess of £300,000 a year for all types of research to women at postgraduate level.
Cynthia Burek, Professor in Geoconservation at the University and Co-ordinator of International Relations for BFWG, said: “Often these are women who through no fault of their own are unable to complete their PhD without further financial assistance.
“The University, which is working towards its Athena Swan Bronze medal, recognises the importance of female contribution to research and is pleased to endorse this collaboration.
“This is the start of something, which we will hope will enhance and grow the recognition of women’s contribution to research, especially scientific research, across the world.
Jenny added: “I’m particular delighted to leave such a positive and fitting conclusion to my term of office.”
Established in 1839 the University of Chester is one of the longest-established English higher education institutions of any kind, pre-dating all but Oxford, Cambridge, London and Durham. Its original buildings in the ancient city of Chester were the first in the country to be purpose-built for the professional training of teachers.
Professor Tim Wheeler, Vice-Chancellor of the University of Chester and Jenny Morley, President of BFWG with the signed copy of the Memorandum of Understanding
Professor Tim Wheeler, Vice-Chancellor of the University of Chester, with Professor Cynthia Burek, Professor in Geoconservation at the University and Co-ordinator of International Relations for BFWG, and Jenny Morley, President of BFWG
- Last Updated on Friday, 18 April 2014 08:38
THOUGHTS ON WORLD BOOK DAY from BFWG Vice President, Rory Haigh:
World Book Day dates back to 1995 when UNESCO set it up on St George's Day, 23rd April, marking the anniversaries of the birth/death dates of Shakespeare, Cervantes, and other famous writers. However, there has been a tradition in Catalonia since 1926 that on St George's Day - The Day of the Rose - gifts of books or roses have been exchanged. The UK and Spain are closely connected in thought here, but we have seen fit to move our World Book Day to the first Thursday in March, to avoid the established international date of 23 April as it "clashed" with St George's Day and might coincide with schools' Easter holidays. My personal view is that this is misguided, and has not raised the profile of World Book Day in the UK: we should either be part of an International / World Book Day or we have our own British Book Day. We will be sending this joint press release with IFUW ahead of World Book Day.
- Last Updated on Tuesday, 15 April 2014 17:01
Vivyenne Rubinstein's Obituaries
With Princess Alexandra 1957
L to R: Nancy Edwards, Margaret Roake, Vivyenne Rubinstein, Cynthia Richmond
- BFWG , Maria Miller and Equality
- Forced Marriage
- National Numeracy Challenge Launch
- 6-O BLOG
- BFWG Thoughts on International Women’s Day
- How BFWG Members celebrated International Women’s Day
- BFWG Scholarship Winner
- Conspiracy of Secrets
- BFWG ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING AND CONFERENCE
- BFWG Research Presentations Day 2014
- Women Count - Leaders in Higher Education 2013
- National Council of Women - Winners in their young women Speak Out
- International Relations Day 2013
- 2013 Westminster Seminar - House of Lords
- 2013 Banqueting Hall and House of Lords
- Visit to the Banqueting House and afternoon tea at the House of Lords
- 2013 AGM Photo Gallery
- Keynote Speaker National AGM 2013
- BFWG 2014 -2015 Programme